Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It's so HOT!

I know, our temperatures are nothing like those of you in AZ. But add in the fact that humidity is high, we have no air conditioner at all, and we live on the second floor of our building, our apartment is so miserably hot and sticky. Two weeks ago the high was 59 and today it hit 100. It never came close to 100 last year. Ugh.

So, we spent all of today out of the house. In the morning we went to a friend's house to watch her 3 kids. They are (almost) 4, 2, and 5 months, and my kids have a lot of fun with them. Unfortunately, they did not have air conditioning either, but their house was cooler than ours. Here was our schedule for today:

6:30-9:30 = wake up, eat breakfast, check Facebook, email, coupon thread, and a bazillion blogs. Listen to Ellie read a couple of her Hooked on Phonics kindergarden books. Eat a snack, draw some pictures. Put together a crockpot dinner.

9:30-12:30 = friend's house. Chase two 4-year-olds and two 2-year-olds around while carrying 5-month-old baby. Also make grilled cheese for everyone while holding 5-month-old baby.

12:30-1:30 = pick up a couple of things from Target, sloooowly because Target has air-conditioning. Call Nichole to ask if Warren wants a clearanced video game

1:30-2:30 = drive to the McDonalds on the other side of town because it has an indoor play area. Call mom to complain about the heat. Sit in the car (with the air-conditioner running) for 1/2 hour in the parking lot because Ellie fell asleep and she NEVER does that and she desperately needs it. Call Tara and ask her how long I should let Ellie sleep.

2:30-4:30 = play in kids' area, buy ice cream cones and eat them, wash up, play some more, buy double cheeseburger and fries to split three ways, play some more (because it is air-conditioned!)

4:30-5:30 = play in a nearby splash pad that thankfully is mostly shaded by trees at this time of day

5:30-7:00 = drive home, eat dinner from the crockpot, take a cold bath.

7:00 = Bedtime for the kids!

Tomorrow our day will be similiar, because it will still be hot, although the high is only 88. I hope this warm front moves out soon!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok...so...did you have to split the cheeseburger 3 ways because you need some help $$$$ or just because you were being frugal? by the way...did you get Rowan's shoes?

The Porters said...

I'm assuming you split the food because you had already had grilled cheese and had dinner in the crockpot so it was just snack (plus ice cream). :) I told Zane the same thing about NC. It seems like there really wasn't any spring weather. It went from winter to summer in a matter of a couple weeks. Try to stay cool tomorrow too!

Anonymous said...

That stinks about the weather. I think we flip-flopped our summers. Last summer it hit record highs here and was often at least 90 degrees, and this year we had a couple weird days of temps in the 90's back in April, and since then it's only hit the low 80s a couple days. I would rather us have the hot weather because we have the air conditioning! Hopefully it gets better for you.

~Nichole

Kirsten said...

Don't worry Mom, we aren't so poor that we can only afford one meal at McDonalds :D Tara was right, we split it because it was just a snack. And I felt bad being there for so long and only paying $1.50 for ice cream cones, so we spent another $2.

If we really were that hurting for money, I would hope that I would be such a good mom that I let the kids split the meal 2 ways while I went without :)

Anonymous said...

that's true...you would!

mom

Porter Clan said...

Kirsten, I totally know what you are talking about, when you said hot and sticky and on the 2nd floor. My bedroom was on the second floor in PA and when the ac wasn't on, it was awful! We always went into the basement to cool down. I hope you don't have too many days like that!

Anonymous said...

So. Do you have a library close by that is airconditioned? Or a Hastings? You don't have to eat or drink (or feel guilty about being there) and you can stay cool at the same time. I feel for you with no A/C. Maybe the three of your can 'swim' in your bathtub :)

--Aunt Karen

Kendra said...

I SO feel your pain! It's been 88 in our house this week - and we have no AC. Thankfully it has cooled off again but it will heat back up in August. We just get used to sweating!