Monday, January 18, 2010

Winter fun



See this little guy? We befriended him for a while by leaving nuts just outside our balcony door. The kids love watching him eat with his little paws. He was even starting to get semi-comfortable with us. That all ended one day when as he was heading for the nuts, Rowan smashed a monster truck into the balcony door right in front of the squirrel. Bye bye little squirrel, it was fun while it lasted.

This morning we woke up to this odd sight.





We have never seen ice spikes on the trees before!
Like the view of our front yard? Some of our neighbors built this happy snow family :)


Ellie really loves playing outside in the snow. Finally! But Rowan is still young enough that it is not fun trudging through snow up to his knees. So, we play outside a little bit, but most of our fun is inside :) The kids received this earth-friendly dishes set made of recycled milk jugs for Christmas, along with some wooden food. They love playing picnic and restaurant, so today Ellie and I made this menu for her restaurant by cutting out pictures of food, gluing them on paper, and labeling them. I love Ellie's creative spelling, like "mufin," "ches," and "petzza."




Hmm, looks like I need to take some pictures of the kids actually playing these games :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the cute little squirrel will be back when he gets hungry :) Very cute snow family. I would have loved to see how Ellie would speall spaghetti! She's doing a great job of spelling phonetically. Is that how you spell it? Ask Ellie for me!

Love you,
Mom

The Porters said...

Mom, I like how you spell 'speall'. :) The snow family is so cute! I love the small one on the toy. I agree that the squirrel will be back. And yes, you do need to take pictures of the kids playing!