I have made this soup about a hundred times, but it is always slightly different. I add whatever I have: different veggies, different cans of stuff, sometimes I add ground turkey or chicken, sometimes pasta. But last night, the soup was magic. It had just enough flavor, just enough kick, and a great amount of vegetables. So I need to write it down to see if I can create that magic again. This soup is delicious with different variations, but it might make magic if you make it this way:
1 jar Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic pasta sauce
1 can mild regular Rotel*
3 cups beef broth (or 3 cups water and dump in the rest of a container of Orrington Farms beef-flavored vegetarian broth. hmm, not sure if I can recreate that exactly)
about 1/2 of a large sweet onion - minced
about two handfuls of baby carrots - minced
3 stalks of celery - minced
1 cup sweet potato puree
1 can of cannellini beans - rinsed
Dump it all in a crockpot, and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Or longer - this soup is really forgiving. You can brown meat and add it at the beginning, and you can also add pasta, but I suggest cooking the pasta near the end and adding it when you serve. Otherwise the pasta just soaks up all the liquid and you are left with more of a chili. But then again, with any substitutions, it just might not be "magic."
* I am pretty sure that the reason no spices are needed is because of the Rotel. Which is unfortunate, because I am wary of ingredient labels that read "natural flavorings" and "spices." I like to know what is in my food! Unless, of course, I am in another country sampling the local food. Then I'm fine with "don't ask, don't tell." :D
Friday, April 08, 2011
"Magic" soup
Posted by Kirsten at 11:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Aww man, I thought you were going to say something like you added a couple drops of beet juice at the bottom of the kids' bowls so once they ladled a soup in, the broth magically turned red (like you had mentioned maybe doing for April Fool's).
Oh well, I always love a new recipe! :)
sounds yummy!
mom
Post a Comment