There have been 3 days of school so far. Jason says his classes are going well. He has three teachers that switch off; one of them okay and the others not so good. Hopefully he will be placed with a conversation partner soon that will help solidify what he is learning in class. He goes to school 5 days a week, 4 hours a day. My class is also going well. There are about 14 people, 5 of us Americans. I only have it 4 days a week, 2 hours a day. That is nice, but the class time isn't. I have class 7:30pm - 9:30pm, which means I don't get to bed until about 10:30 or 11:00pm. That may not sound too late, but when Ellie wakes up between 6-7am, it feels late. Although, I can handle it now that Ellie sleeps consistantly through the night. It only took over a year!
The Islamic holiday Ramadan is coming up very soon. It is supposed to start around September 24th. For those of you who don't know about it, it is a month-long holiday celebrating when the first verses of the Quran were "revealed." The fast is from dawn to sunset each day of Ramadan. The fast involves refraining from food, drink, and (for married people) sexual relations during the daylight hours. We obviously won't be fasting during this month, but it means that we shouldn't eat or drink during the day in public. Since we have our own apartment, this should be fairly easy, but things will be very different here. Businesses have different hours, restaurants close, and there are celebrations every night to break the fast. I'm not exactly sure what it will be like in our neighborhood, but we live literally across the street from a mosque, so we have had problems before with noise coming from their celebrations during the night. Our friends have also mentioned the possibility of someone coming through the neighborhood before dawn each morning, waking up everyone so they can eat before the sun comes up. Hopefully that will not be the case! I am focusing a lot on the inconviences for us, but also be in prayer for all the muslims here. Part of the fasting is in order to please Allah and seek his mercy; if only they knew that God does not require good works or sacrifice in order to obtain His mercy; it is freely given. Pray that perhaps Jason and I can share this with Muslims we come in contact with. A good website for those who are interested in Christians praying for Muslims during Ramadan is http://www.30-days.net/.
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
School Days
Posted by Kirsten at 4:22 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
We will be praying for you guys during this time...I downloaded the prayer calendar, and will be remembering the Muslims, and probably learning lots of new stuff! Glad to hear that Ellie is letting you sleep now. I'm sure not nursing has made a big difference, she doesn't need you to comfort her in the middle of the night anymore, she's finding her own way. Hope both of you have great success in the classes you are taking!!
Love You,
Mom
Post a Comment