It's hard for us to believe we have been here for a month already. Only eight more to go :) We are enjoying our time here, but this is definitely not a permanent move! Although there are many American things here (we had Popeye's chicken for dinner last night), we miss being in America. We truly are lucky to have all that we do!
Our Arabic-learning is going well. Of course Jason already had it mostly down, but I am proud of my mini-conversations that I have with shopkeepers, taxi drivers, etc. And once in a while I can teach Jason a word that he doesn't know. I'm really enjoying getting to know my classmates as well. One girl in my class picks me up and takes me home, which is awesome, since I don't have to hunt down taxis and hope they know where my class meets. Jason has been taking the bus to his classes, which is very cheap and easy, but I am wary of taking the bus by myself (as a foreign woman), especially since my class is at night. Also, I have to leave for my class right when the fasting ends for the day, so the streets are almost completely empty. Everyone is eating! I wouldn't be able to find a taxi or bus if I wanted to.
We need to find Ellie some friends. I really think she is getting lonely and too attached to us. Last night she had trouble sleeping, so I had to sleep in her bed with her. Hopefully we can find some kids soon! She sees some once a week when we meet with some American friends, but it would be nice to find kids her age that she can play with. There's only so much painting and reading books with mommy and daddy that a toddler can take!
We started a water delivery service yesterday, and it is great! They deliver 19 liter bottles (like the 5 gallon ones) once a week. Jason drinks more water than anyone I have ever lived with (even Nichole!) so we were having to buy a ton of 1.5 liter bottles a week. It was getting too difficult to go to the store that often and lug them home, not to mention the empty bottles filling the dumps. This way is easier and actually cheaper, so it works out really well.
Sunday, October 01, 2006
One month down...
Posted by Kirsten at 5:05 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Nichole and I decided that you can send Ellie here...we'll find her lots of friends!! Or, I'll come get her....yeah, that'll work! Glad to hear you're adjusting, and very glad to hear that you have someone to go to the school with! You really don't need to be out by yourself that late at night!!
Love you!
Mom
Hey Kirsten, I can't even believe I feel like I have trouble keeping Kyle entertained here in Tucson, where there is so much we can do. However, I did find some great suggestions here, http://www.parenthood.com/
articles.html?article_id=9156 for things to do with Kyle at home. I'm putting the final touches on your package, it'll go out next week!
Love your letters,Kirsten. You are a natural writer. I am so glad you are not traveling by yourself at night! I love the slide show of Ellie. Are you posting some of them on snapfish? Did the box arrive yet? I hope it doesn't get "lost" over there! Maybe they sent it by slow boat! Give yourselves a hug from me!
Love Gram
Post a Comment